|*||Effective chelated copper treatment & protection of ornamental aquarium fish|
|*||Provides aquarium fish relief from Ick, Velvet, and other external parasites|
|*||Maintains therapeutic levels of copper in the aquarium for over one month|
Safe, stable, and non-staining chelated copper treatment delivers relief from unwelcome parasites. Fritz Coppersafe provides effective treatment and control of Ick, Velvet, and other external parasites of freshwater and saltwater aquarium fish including flukes and anchor worms. Long-lasting chelated copper formula remains active, maintaining therapeutic copper levels, for over one month in the aquarium.
For use with ornamental fresh and saltwater aquarium fish. 16 oz Coppersafe treats 376 gallons. Made in USA.
About Fritz Coppersafe Fritz Coppersafe solution remains active for over one month in the aquarium. It is a safe, stable, non-staining concentrate that does not color aquarium water.
Be sure to add Fritz Coppersafe solution to replacement water when water changes are made. This will maintain the therapeutic level of Coppersafe solution.
Because Fritz Coppersafe solution is so stable in water, partial water changes are the quickest way to remove it from the water.
The unique formulation of Fritz Coppersafe solution maintains a total copper level of ~2.0ppm when used as directed. Copper test kits that measure chelated copper will help you to actively monitor copper levels when using Fritz Coppersafe solution.
Common Parasites of Fish:
Ick: Small white spots may cover the entire body; fish may rub or scratch against bottom
Velvet: Tiny yellowish spots; loss of color, rubbing or scratching against bottom
External Parasites: Extra mucous, visible spots or worms, rapid breathing, flashing, scratching or rubbing on rocks
Directions & Dosage
Use 1 tsp/5 ml per 4 U.S. gallons (15 L), 1 cup (8oz) per 190 U.S. gallons (337.5 L). Treats water for one month. Treat replacement water.
Special notes on Coppersafe solution: Copper levels are commonly measured as free or as total copper
Remove invertebrates from tank. Coppersafe may be harmful to plants and snails.
Do not use Coppersafe solution with fish species that have a known sensitivity to copper.
Coppersafe solution may cause an adverse reaction with some sensitive invertebrates. Invertebrates without an exoskeleton such as jellyfish, anemones, etc. should be removed before treatment. Coppersafe solution may be harmful to plants, amphibians and snails.
Not recommended for use in reef aquariums.
Do not overdose.
Note: Consult a veterinarian or fish expert for assistance in diagnosis of disease causing organisms and treatment options.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Fritz Coppersafe
Q. How often do I need to dose Coppersafe?
A. Coppersafe is a chelated copper solution which will keep the copper active in the aquarium for up to a month. You should use a test kit to monitor copper levels.
Q. What is the therapeutic range for copper in an aquarium?
A. The therapeutic range of copper is 1.5ppm - 2.0ppm. Some test kits have different scales so be sure to contact the manufacturer of the test kit if you have questions!
Q. Can I use Quick Cure and Coppersafe together to treat Ich? Is Coppersafe suitable as an Ich preventative?
A. While both products are effective at controlling Ich, Quick Cure is the more aggressive treatment and is the best choice to handle the quickest. Coppersafe can be used as a preventative.
Q. Do I add Coppersafe to top off water during treatment?
A. You should not be adding more Coppersafe to evaporated water, as the copper will not evaporate. Only add Coppersafe to water you are replacing.
Q. Can I use hydrogen peroxide as a spot algae treatment while treating the aquarium with Coppersafe?
A. No. The complex copper in Coppersafe will impact the hydrogen peroxide, making it ineffective against algae. It is not clear if the Coppersafe is affected in the process so we cannot recommend using the two together.
Q. How long can fish be treated with the Coppersafe safely?
A. You can run therapeutic levels of copper in your aquarium indefinitely (as long as you do not have invertebrates.) If you are quarantining the new fish, you can run them at therapeutic levels as long as you like, but at least 7 days for Ich.
Q. After your first treatment with Coppersafe, how long do you have to wait to do a water change?
A. Unless you observe stress in the fish, you should not do a water change for a month. That is because the chelated copper stays in solution for that period of time which covers the life cycle of almost all aquarium parasites. This ensures that any eggs in the aquarium will hatch out and the parasites will be eliminated.
If your animals are stressed, a water change may be necessary. You will need to dose the replacement water at the label dosage so that the copper remains at an effective level. Copper test kits are recommended to monitor levels in the aquarium.
Q. I’m having trouble working out the dosage of Coppersafe because I have a lot of rock in my tank and I’m not sure of my sump volume. Can you help?
A. Because copper can be toxic when it is overdosed, you should be conservative with your estimates of water volume. There are many online calculators which can help you determine the volume of any rectangular sump. Use a test kit to measure copper levels and if they need to be increased, do so carefully.
Q. Are there any animals that are sensitive to copper that I should be careful with Coppersafe?
A. Lionfish, pufferfish, mandarins, blennies, eels and any other scaleless fish should be treated with care. Watch for adverse reactions to the copper and be prepared to do water changes. You can also use carbon and specific copper-removing filter media to rapidly remove the copper from the water.
Of course, as indicated on the directions, Coppersafe should not be used with invertebrates of any kind and should be removed from the water before returning invertebrates to the aquarium.
Q. Do I need to remove carbon when I use Coppersafe?
A. Activated carbon is safe to use during treatment with Coppersafe. This formula uses chelated copper which isn't readily adsorbed by carbon. It is recommended to remove other types of chemical filtration including resins and other heavy metal adsorbing filter pads.