||Advanced iodine test kit simplifies care of coral reef aquariums
||Accurate testing crucial when supplementing corals with iodine
||New approach to iodine testing involves less steps for ease of use
Redefine iodine testing for accurate test results without the fuss. Conventional colorimetric (color matching) iodine tests involve constant monitoring of a chemical reaction. Sample water in the test vial gradually changes color and when the reaction time is over, it is compared against a small, difficult to match color chart or color chip. The Red Sea Iodine Pro Test Kit takes an innovative approach to boost accuracy and convenience.
Simplified color-matching process eliminates the need for a timer or stopwatch. When the vial containing the standard or reference solution matches the color chart, you know the reaction period is over. Compare the sample water to the color chart grid to measure iodine levels between 0 and 0.09ppm. This advanced colorimetric iodine test kit encourages proper testing skills with ease-of-use and a high degree of accuracy (0.01ppm).
Included quick guide walks you through the testing process with simple, easy-to-understand illustrations. Measure and monitor iodine levels with Red Sea Iodine Pro Test Kit to ensure ideal water parameters for coral reef aquariums housing SPS, LPS and Soft Corals. 50 Tests. Accuracy of 0.01ppm.
Why Test Iodine?
Routine iodine testing is crucial in coral reef aquariums supplemented with iodine. This element is important to the coral skeleton and soft tissue and is specifically important for SPS corals to display their natural pigments. Iodine is related to the pink chromo-protein (pocciloporin) and proper iodine supplementation encourages enhanced coral coloration for a stunning and vibrantly-colored reef aquarium. However, iodine becomes toxic in concentrations above the levels found in natural seawater. Therefore, correct dosage of iodine supplements and routine iodine testing is crucial to the health and success of any reef aquarium.
- 2 Glass Vials
- Instruction Manual
- Color Card
- Syringe 10ml
- Reagent A - 25ml
- Reagent B - 50ml
- Standard - 12g
Directions for Iodine Pro Test Kit
- Rinse the vial marked "standard" and syringe with RO or distilled water and dry thoroughly.
- Using the syringe provided, place exactly 5 ml of RO water into the standard vial, close the vial firmly with the cap and place the vial into the aquarium for 10 minutes to allow the water in the vial to reach the temperature of the aquarium water.
- After 10 min., take the standard vial out of the aquarium and add 1 level measuring spoon of Iodine standard 0.06 ppm powder. Close the vial with the cap and shake until the powder is fully dissolved.
- Using the syringe provided, place exactly 5 ml of the water to be tested into the other vial (sample vial).
- Add 5 drops of Iodine Pro Reagent A to both the sample and standard vials.
- Add 8 drops of Iodine Pro Reagent B to both the sample and standard vials.
- Stand both of the vials in their designated positions on the color card.
- The standard vial acts as a timer for reaction. Check the color of the water in the standard vial by looking into the vial from above and watch to see when the color in the standard vial matches the color of 0.06 ppm on the color card. This is the end point of the test reaction, which will take approximately 5 - 15 minutes for an aquarium at 25°C (77°F). The warmer the water, the quicker the reaction.
- When the end point of the test reaction has been reached, look into the sample vial from above and compare the color in the vial to the colors on the card and choose the Iodine level that gives the closest color match. If necessary, estimate an intermediate value.
- The color in the sample vial will remain stable for 5 minutes. Do not relate to the color in the sample vial after this time.
Important notes for using the Iodine Pro Test Kit
- Before carrying out any water testing, always check the salinity and make adjustments as necessary. If you have made adjustments to the water, wait 10 minutes for the water parameters to stabilize (e.g. 1ppt increase in salinity due to evaporation of fresh water will result in an approximate increase of 13ppm Ca).
- Before testing, clean the glass vial and the large syringe by rinsing it with the water to be tested.
- After testing, rinse all syringes and vials with RO or distilled water before storing. If vials are left unwashed, a residue can form that will affect the results of future tests. Use a slightly acidic solution such as vinegar to remove the residue.
- Close all reagents tightly immediately after use.
- The test reagents are stable up to the date stated on the pack when stored closed between 15 - 25°C.
- Store the reagents and color card in the plastic box to prevent damage from prolonged exposure to light.